How to Connect or Disconnect from PM5
Connecting to PM5
ErgZone uses Bluetooth to connect to the Concept2 Performance Monitors 5 (PM5).
Older Performance Monitors versions such as PM3/PM4 do not work with ErgZone because it does not have Bluetooth (even if you have the USB cable).
How to connect PM5 to the ErgZone app?
On the PM5:
- Click "Menu" to turn it on.
- Click "Connect."
On the ErgZone app:
- Open the ErgZone app.
- Find the workout you want to start
- Click "Connect."
- Click "Scan For PM5."
- Choose the PM5 number that matches what's being displayed in the PM5
- Click "Connect."
- Wait for the message to start: "Row to Start"
How to disconnect from the PM5?
A "Disconnect" button will be displayed at the bottom of your workout session when you have finished or stopped the session.
We recommend that athletes sharing the erg with others click "Disconnect" when done.
Does the ErgZone app connect to PM3 or PM4?
ErgZone app connects to PM via Bluetooth only. PM3 and PM4 don't have Bluetooth.
We suggest upgrading to a PM5, which offers more data and Bluetooth. The new Retrofit kit comes with the PM5 + phone/tablet holder.
Visit this link to find more details https://shop.concept2.com/performance-monitors/338-pm5-monitor.html.
Are you experiencing problems connecting ErgZone to PM5?
Before proceeding, follow all the steps mentioned in the " How to connect" section.
- Check if wireless is turned on in the PM5 and if you have Bluetooth enabled on your phone.
- Don’t start ErgData. PM5 only allows one app to be connected simultaneously via Bluetooth. Better yet, force close the app to ensure it is not connected to the erg.
- Are you using an HR monitor? If so, then make sure it's not running on low battery.
- Are there any other erg machines in the same room? Make sure you are selecting the one that displays the exact number.
- Ensure your PM5 is not in your phone's Bluetooth settings list of paired devices.
You have to "Forget" the PM5 device if it's there. PM5 uses a different Bluetooth protocol designed for low-energy devices that don't need manual pairing.
- Check your device's battery mode. Sometimes, the device will not connect if battery saving mode is on.
- Restart your mobile device.
- Go to your PM5, Connect, More ANT+ Options, and ensure no option is selected.
- You need to allow Bluetooth permission.
The app prompts you to enable the permission but to ensure everything is correct, go to the iOS settings, search for ErgZone, and see if the Bluetooth option is enabled.
- On Android, disable battery optimization for some specific apps. See this YouTube video showing all the steps you have to take.
- If you are on Android, you must allow the location permission and have GPS enabled. We don't track any location data, but this is how Android allows the app to connect via BLE (Bluetooth low energy) devices.
Are you still experiencing difficulties with an Android device?
Some users in the past reported that pairing and unpairing a Bluetooth device would reset some Android cache. Try this:
- Turn PM5 on and press the connect button
- Go to the Bluetooth settings (where you can pair a new device)
- Pair with the PM5 device that shows up on your phone.
- Unpair PM5 by forgetting the device.
Another thing to try is to clear your device's Bluetooth cache. Remember that you'll have to pair any Bluetooth devices saved before, like speakers, watches, and others. The PM5 doesn't need to be paired, though. Here are the steps to clear the Bluetooth cache:
- Go to Settings on your Android device.
- Select Application Manager
- Click the three dots in the top right corner and select All System Apps.
- Scroll and tap on the Bluetooth app.
- Stop your device’s Bluetooth app by tapping Force Stop.
- Next, tap Clear Cache.
- Restart your device and try connecting ErgZone again.
Have you updated your Android recently?
We suggest you clear the Bluetooth cache as described above.
Still no success? Join our Facebook Group and ask questions; someone from the ErgZone team will help you.
Are you experiencing disconnections?
Update PM5 firmware
Check if your PM5 monitor has the most current firmware here: https://www.concept2.com/service/monitors/pm5/firmware.
Concept2 uses firmware updates to add new features to the PM5 and fix known problems.
Reset PM5 memory
Remove PM5 batteries for 15 minutes and reinstall.
PM5 will prompt to provide a date and time. This is proof that the memory has been reset.
Remove the batteries again and wait a little longer if you don't see that prompt.
Don't worry. It will not reset the logs.
Check the PM5 battery.
Try using a new set of batteries.
PM5 running on low battery levels can cause random errors.
Try not to use your Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
Some firmware/hardware can have issues with HRM during a workout. Next time you do a workout, try not using the HRM and see if the issue goes away.
If you have a close Wi-Fi router or are in the same room as the PM5, then it can cause interference to the Bluetooth connection. Here are some things you can try:
- Disable Wi-Fi on your phone and see if the Bluetooth disconnections go away.
- Move the router or PM5 to be far away.
- Read Apple's article that contains more ideas to reduce Wi-Fi interference https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542
Do you have a USB drive connected to the PM5?
When the USB is being used simultaneously with Bluetooth, it can overload the PM5, and the Bluetooth can start having issues sending data. It's recommended not to connect the USB stick if using Bluetooth.
There are cases where no matter what you do, you'll still experience disconnections, even when using other apps like ErgData. Concept2 is aware of that and you might want to try to contact them and explain what's going on and they might send you a new PM5.